Featured Baby London Baby Mag – “Positive Parenting And The Power Of Positive Praise”
Dr Johnson Our Clinical Psychologist has been recently featured in Baby London Magazine. Emma Oliver Wrote a Beautiful Article within the Local Famliy Lifestyle Section, about the power of positive parenting and praise. Dr Johnson suggest Ten Top Tips to keeping praise meaningful and effective.
- Make sure your praise is genuine and meaningful.
- Praise effort as well as achievement.
- Use positivity, praise and hugs to reinforce good behaviour, and do your best to ignore less desirable behaviour.
- Use distraction eg when your child is too boisterous, lead them into a quiet activity.
- Keep in mind that toddlers will gradually understand how you want them to behave.
- Do not laugh at bad behaviour; try to lead by example.
- Remember to criticise the action, rather than the child.
- Try to pre-empt a negative situation coming and turn it on its head.
- If you say or do something you regret, explain that you did not mean it and say you are sorry with a cuddle.
- Consistency is key